Monday 23 April 2012

Globetrotting


I can hear the murmurings clearly. “He goes and wins the award for Blog of the Year and then promptly stops blogging!” I grant you, it’s a fair whinge. But trust me, the reasons are good ones.

I’m sitting in a room surrounded by suitcases, packing my life into bag after bag, ready to fly off in just a few hours. My London adventure ends here, whilst just over the horizon await a whole new set of challenges. Guesses have been made, since I first mentioned the fact that I had left the London Ambulance Service as to where I was going. Guesses ranged from the south coast of England, to the north coast of Scotland, to the west coast of Australia.

The truth is that I’m heading to the east coast of the Mediterranean – to a little country that punches above its weight in almost every aspect of its existence – Israel.

Let’s start at the beginning: My name’s Aryeh – and I’m an Insomniac. So you see, one of the reasons my blog had to remain anonymous was the fact that with an unusual name like mine, unique in the LAS (in more ways than one, I hear my friends cry), there was no hope of hiding behind a smoke-screen of a more common name such as Adam, or Chris, or Dave. At least in Israel, I can hide amongst the masses of others Aryehs.

It’s a funny old place. Laid back yet highly stressed, open-minded but highly suspicious, and people who are exceptionally friendly or incredibly abrupt – sometimes both at once.

The national ambulance service is completely different from the UK based one. There’s no government funding and it’s privately run as a fee-charging charity. The paramedics and EMT’s who work for them are divided between volunteers who live their normal lives around sporadic shifts and actual paid staff whose day to day life is the ambulance service. Working for them, assuming they accept my paramedic skills as good enough for them, will be a very different experience indeed.

In the meantime, I’ve discovered that I really enjoy teaching first aid to the general public and that might become a new string to add to my bow, either in between ambulance shifts, or, at least at the beginning, instead of them.

It’s a new start for my family and me – but it’s a new start that we’ve been planning for some time, so excitement is, at least for now, overruling the sheer terror of such a big move.

As for the blog, well, I’ll definitely keep writing. What started off as a purely cathartic exercise in creative writing has turned into a project of which I’m exceptionally proud. The writing may be a little sporadic over the next few weeks as we settle into a new reality, but stick around.

We may still have a lot to learn together.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck! Sounds like an interesting adventure and an interesting ambulance service. I look forward to reading about it in the future. Best wishes!

Dan said...

Sounds like a very big step, but obviously one you want to do. As long as you keep blogging, I'm happy. I have friends over there too (I'm an international playboy in reality!) and can find you if I need to dish out punishments upon you!

Good luck and have lots of fun!!

-Dan

Medic13 said...

Congrats on making aliyah! (at least I'm guessing). Israel is amazing and the MDA is well advanced! I practiced with them a little while I was in eilat. מזל טוב לשגשוג!

Anonymous said...

It's been a great blog to follow while you were in London. The award was well deserved.

I look forward to reading about your new adventures.

In the words of the late, great Dave Allen; "May your God go with you".

Good luck,

Ray.

catherine said...

wow! best of luck on your big move. how exciting. i've relocated more than a few times as an adult, back and forth across oceans, and learned so much from the experience. can't wait to hear more about your time in israel.

TAZ THE AMBO said...

Thank you Aryeh,

You will have a good time.
Your family will enjoy it.
You will continue blogging!

While I do have interaction with our local Hatzolah volunteers, they've always lived in Sydney so you'll have some interesting stories to tell.

Safe travel Dude

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Thank you Aryeh, for the many posts I have read and learned from year after year. Relocating brings much to our lives; may your family be blessed with wondrous newness and memories that will last a lifetime. I look forward to the new adventures you will share with us.

Robin said...

Wow, I thought you were a woman.

Bobbi said...

That's great! It sounds like it's going to be brilliant, if VERY different from the LAS. Enjoy it, and good luck to you and your family out there. I'm looking forward to reading about your new life, and new ambulanceness. :)

Have a safe journey!

MSgt B said...

I'm grateful you will be taking us along on your trip.

JR said...

Good luck and bon voyage. The move is a big one but it sounds exciting. I hope you and your family well be very happy.

On a separate note, I agree with you that teaching first aid can be very rewarding. It requires one's own skills to be razor sharp to demonstrate and one's own knowledge to be good not only to explain techniques but also to explain why they are used. Plus, it's always quite fun to regail people with tales of previous exploits. Enjoy

I'm looking forward to hearing updates from your new start and the challenges you face.

Good luck

JR

Anonymous said...

I happen to volunteer in Magen David Adom in Tel Aviv! I would love to know if you would come to work/volunteer here too!

Thanks for all of the inspiring and teaching posts, I hope you enjoy working in MDA here, and I would enjoy having a shift with you sometime!

Please post your thoughts about MDA as well, we are really missing some true great bloggers!

If you'd like to know anything about MDA or Israel you're more than welcome to contact me, just post a reply comment here and I will PM you my email.

noyu said...

I happen to volunteer in Magen David Adom in Tel Aviv! I would love to know if you would come to work/volunteer here too!

Thanks for all of the inspiring and teaching posts, I hope you enjoy working in MDA here, and I would enjoy having a shift with you sometime!

Please post your thoughts about MDA as well, we are really missing some true great bloggers!

If you'd like to know anything about MDA or Israel you're more than welcome to contact me, just post a reply comment here and I will PM you my email.

Lydia said...

Thank you for decloaking, Aryeh, and looking forward to hearing about your new adventures!
Lydia

drsolly said...

Mazel tov and best wishes in your new location

Jo P said...

Oh! That's who you are!!! ;-) good luck, sorry b'hatzlacha! and we'll see you on our next trip out there. Hope there's lots of first aid training wanted and you can be KidsMedIl!!

Stairlift Wit said...

Hey Good Luck man, for you and the family. I'm sure it's going to be a great move for you all!
If you ever want a very Rural Englishman to come and volunteer for a few months, let me know. It's the least I could do after everything your blog has done for me.
No goodbyes, just an au revoir & hear from you soon buddy!

Claire H said...

Good Luck Aryeh,

You're a great paramedic (now I know who you are!) and will definitely be missed by many in London.

All the Best

bobball said...

Good Luck! Looking forward to your continued blogs from this new chapter in your life!

Anonymous said...

Aryeh thank you so much for all the hard work you've put into this blogg, we've enjoyed the journey with you. We would like to thank you too for all the support and guidance you've given Sasha since he has been in London. You had his back,you and your family welcomed him to your home and hearts and sharing Shabbat with you was such a priviledge
Where ever you settle we hope you find joy in your work and family - Shalom
from
Sasha's Mum and Dad

Anonymous said...

Wow good luck in your new life, I hope you will share it with us.
Blessings to you and your family and huge thankyou too.
lollipop
xx

Lauren said...

That is awesome! Best wishes for you and yours! I look forward to reading more of your adventures.

Anonymous said...

Have a great time, you may want to check out the blog “The Quiet Borderline” http://quietbpd.wordpress.com/ it is written by a English girl living in Israel who has currently just moved into a rehabilitation programme after a long period in hospital!

Chrissy said...

Safe Travels! :)
All the best in your time of change.

Nicki said...

Congrats on your award and good luck as you start this new chapter in your life!!!! Keep the scene safe!!!

Freddie said...

Can I just ask... even though your name isn't Ben... are you ginger, or not? http://www.insomniacmedic.com/2009/08/ginger.html