Monday 27 April 2009

Just a saying?

It's always been the phrase that demonstrated complete disbelief in something. Anything. But apparently this is no longer the case.
As if we didn't have enough to worry about in the ambulance service, the first two cases of Swine Flu have been confirmed in the UK. Allow me to hazard a guess that we'll have a few calls over the coming days and weeks from people who've sneezed once, and now think that they have this disease. It happened with Bird Flu. I had at least three calls to people who thought they had Bird Flu. These people hadn't been anywhere near birds. Or even have flu-like symptoms. But they got so caught up in all the hype, that they were certain their diagnosis was correct.
So just in case you're worried, if you've not been to Mexico or the affected areas in the USA, if you've got a cold but no fever, if you're just feeling a little under the weather, chances are that you don't have Swine Flu...
But apparently, despite history proving otherwise, Pigs CAN fly...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember attending a call a few years back with a fella asking me if he might have caught bird flu from his pet parrot. I asked him if it had been sneezing alot lately...

Anonymous said...

pigs can fly - I like it!
It's 2am an you've just made me and two of my colleagues laugh out load with that one!

InsomniacMedic said...

Anon - love it!
medicblog - glad to hear that even at 2am the sense of humour is still alive and kicking...