Sunday 17 May 2009

No More Mr Nice Guy!

There's an almost 100% chance that if you're nice to me, that I'll be nice to you.
I don't care if you're male or female.
I don't care if you're black, white or anything in between.
I don't care if you're Christian, Hindu, Jewish, Muslim or Zoroastrian.
I don't care if you're old or young.
I do care if you're ill, and even if you really didn't need to call an ambulance, I'll still be polite. Even if you're drunk. And I hate drunks...
But.... If you feel it necessary to threaten me with a gun, a knife or a golf-club, if you feel it necessary to say you're going to kill me (even if it's in a foreign language which I may or may not understand), if you fancy throwing a punch at me, then that almost 100% chance of me being nice, drops instantly to almost 0%.
Yes, I will walk away from your friend or relative. Yes, I will refuse to treat them. And, Yes, I will make sure that your address has a red-flag attached to it on the computer system, so that you can never again have an ambulance to your address without the police turning up too.
I am fed up at having to wait for police to turn up for these calls, but that's your fault. Once you realise that you are responsible and accountable for your behaviour, once you realise that your actions have reactions, and once you realise that I deserve to do my job without being threatened, I'll come back to your home and try to be nice again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post - written from the heart.

Unfortunately this type of behaviour is becoming all too commonplace. And what's more, as soon as we proceed to press charges at those that have assaulted us, they play the mental health card/ I was stressed because my friend/relative/pet rat was ill therefore I was behaving innapropriately.

We are exposed to this sort of abuse almost daily and is now regarded as the norm rather than the exception and yet it still occurs. I believe public information films should be produced and shown on prime time tv, in cinemas and in schools giving info on when to call an amb and more importantly, what will happen to those that abuse us in any way and prevent us from simply doing our jobs!!!

I too will treat anyone I am sent to witout predjudice, but throw into the equation an idiot with a gob or weapon on them and they have forfeited their right to treatment until support arrives - simple...