Thursday 7 May 2009

Trapped Victim!

RTC, hit-and-run, 20 year old female trapped, unable to move legs. All conjures up images of a bad accident, and I was on my way to it in the FRU. As I was nearing the site of the accident the screen updates with further information, but I can't take it all in as I need to watch where I'm going. Out of the corner of my eye all I see are the words Police, Pick-up-truck, conscious. I guess the last one is a good sign. I arrive at the location, expecting to see some other blue lights at this serious accident, but there are none. The location is a junction of a busy road and a small side road. There's nothing there. I take a proper look at the screen and the update, and now see that the patient is "waiting in the car on the side street". Well, I kind of expected her to wait if she was trapped...
I turn into the side road and find said car. It has a minor scrape down the drivers side, that looks more like it's been keyed than hit in a major RTC. There's also a dent to the front wing. And the driver's just sitting there as if nothing's happened. Confused, I approach the driver and ask what's happened.
"This truck just hit me and drove away. I waited ages for the police to come but they didn't and then I got tired of waiting and I was causing a traffic jam so I drove home!"
"Where and when did this happen?"
"In town, about an hour ago."
I'm sure you can hear the incredulous look on my face at this point.
"You drove all the way home from town, got into your own street, stopped the car, and then called an ambulance? Why???"
"Because the police were ages..."
"Do you need to go to hospital?"
"No, but I want paperwork to say that I'm injured."

Except that she wasn't injured. She had a slight bruise on her knee, but could walk with no problems. I'm not even convinced that the bruise wasn't an old one. In the meantime the police have arrived on scene, on blue lights and at a rate of knots, and did exactly the same double take as I did. I explained the situation. I also cancelled the other ambulance that was on its way to back me up. The officers looked equally as incredulous as I felt. I explained that I was just completing paperwork and that they could speak to the driver.

One officer's look changed to a knowing look. He muttered something about "wasting police and ambulance time" and "she can't think she's gonna get away with this". I hope he stuck to his guns, but I'd left them dealing with it and didn't hang around to find out.

Trapped victim? Trapped in her own selfishness and stupidity if you ask me...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable...