Tuesday 7 July 2009

Aerophobia

I quite like flying. Or at least I'm not particularly bothered by it. I do worry, however, that the famous tannoy announcement of "Is there a doctor on board?" will suddenly break the monotony. What do I do then? I could always hide behind the fact that I'm not a doctor, but that's just being pedantic. I could always pretend that I was asleep, but nobody would believe that one.
Except that I know me, and if it did ever happen, I'd be the first to jump up with an offer of assistance. I can't help a good running call. I'm the sort of person who can't be out and about for more than 10 minutes without coming across some sort trouble, so I'm sure one day when I'm flying, it'll happen.
Having said all of that, I think I'd rather hear the request for a doctor on the plane, than a request for an aircraft mechanic...

3 comments:

Scotdoc said...

I was called on a flight for a neurotic womanwith not a lot wrong with her---i got a bottle of champaigne and an upgrade for my wife and i to first class for the rest of the flight!Thanks BA!

Shane said...

I got a call on a Ferry that had three of us turn up to the reception on board at the same time (a nurse, me and a HCA). Luckily I was there as noone else realised that the O2 mask was being fed directly from the Schrader outlet with no regulator in between (ie 300lpm!!!).

We never did figure out what was wrong with the child and had her transferred to a hospital by Ambulance (we were less than 30 mins from docking and was not judged to be an urgent helicopter issue).

We did get offered a free upgrade to first class on our return, however due to cancellation of the fast ferry we got put onto the competitor ferry with no first class seats :(

jumblerant said...

A doctor I know was called upon from Business Class on ElAl. The panicked passenger only needed Valium and a smile but the doctor said he's sit next them for a while. The patient was still unstable through the flight so the doctor stayed with him.

After the flight the doctor asked for his points that he'd used to upgrade to Business Class to be repaid and they declined.

Because...

Wait for it.

He had sat next to the patient of his own volition.

So if you ever do find yourself on Elal - ask for a an upgrade BEFORE you treat anyone.