Thursday 9 December 2010

Boots

I have a serious problem. I don't deny it, and I don't plan on resolving it.

My problem is that I can't stand a scruffy uniform.

Your uniform represents who you are, the care you take and even the pride you have in who you are and what you do. An untucked uniform shirt is a sure way to say that you just don't give a damn.

And I can't stand unpolished boots. Those who know me will bear witness as they read and smirk at this post.
 
A clean, tidy uniform and a pair of shiny boots do a lot more than just look good. They portray an all important sense of professionalism which is sadly sometimes lacking in the world of EMS.
 
Slowly, one boot at a time, I'd love to be able to change that.
 
In the meantime, my students, as well as my kids, will just have to put up with my problem.

6 comments:

Truffle said...

And tidy hair!! Med students with hair falling all over their patient when they examine them and constantly brushing it off their face our out of their eyes REALLY looks awful...

Mrs RRD said...

How about people chewing gum when they see patients? I think that is so incredibly disrespectful and I know one Dr who agrees with me!

Anonymous said...

My boots are a testement to your obsession! I'm sure you've polished them more than me :) Thank you!
btw they could do with a quick shine up ;)
SL

Anonymous said...

Or the girls that leave one too many buttons undone on their shirt? All I can say is "Don't come crying to me when the sloppy drunk feels you up."

Tom102 said...

I recall when I was an eighteen year old recruit square bashing in the middle of winter, the weathered features of cpl Garstang peering intently at my face and then fingernails before amouncing venemously, that if I turned in the next day so attired, I would be charged with being 'filthy on parade'. Gulp. Shock and horror.

Needless to say, I was the first up thereafter, and perfectly turned out. Problem is that cpl Garstang left such an impression on me that after my service, and joining Surrey ambulance my die was cast.

To this day, whatever my task, or my family the personal presentation must be spotless.

You might not be given a second chance when on parade for the public..

Sasha said...

As the one of insomniac medics students I can tell you first hand of this OCD!

On my first day I was made to polish my boats in the mess room, I was then made to polish some other unsuspecting medics boats just to make sure that i got plenty of practice.

I tell you the number of times that i was told to tuck my shirt in was beyond reason but, i got there in the end.

Sasha