Saturday 1 January 2011

Reflections

It's that time of year again. A year ends, a new year begins. Everything changes, and yet nothing does. It's a time to reflect on all that has passed, and then resolve for the future.

Reflect on the year in general.

Reflect on my achievements. Have I achieved all that I set out to do?

Reflect on my students. Have I taught them the best practices? Have I taught them anything new at all? More importantly, have I learnt anything from them, as they probably have more to teach me than to learn from me?

Reflect on my studies. Did I attend all the classes I could? Did I spend enough time studying of my own free will?

Reflect on my skills. Did I use them well? Did I learn any new ways of using them? Did I improve them?

Reflect on my attitude to patients. Did I treat the patient at the beginning of my shift the same as the one at the end when I'm tired? Did I treat all my patients with the respect they deserve?

Reflect on the way others see me. Did I give people the need to criticise or praise? And what did I do with either? And when they talk behind my back, are they armed with the sword or the shield? 

But for me, the most important of all the reflections I look at, is the one that looks right back at me.

And for now, as I stand in front of the mirror in an ironed uniform and polished boots, a star-of-life proudly hovering over my left breast pocket, the reflection's looking happy.

Happy New Year to you all.

1 comment:

oneunder said...

And did your pay reflect qny of this?