Thursday 22 November 2012

Fail

All the way back in May (I could turn this into a poem now, but I shan't. I can already hear your sighs of relief) I posted a series of three posts, each suggesting ideas that I would recommend to paramedics new and old, but particularly new. The first, which I suppose is much more London-specific, was to join the BETS team, the second was about learning to read maps and not rely on GPS, and the third was about not only learning, but teaching
This is the fourth of my suggested ideas. 

Yesterday, I had to take yet another driving test. It was my tenth driving test. Considering I have never failed a test, it's a little confusing, but still, experience is always invaluable. The driving test involved three hopeful applicants, one driving examiner, and a specially modified ambulance with dual controls. 

You'll be pleased to know that I passed. We each took it in turns, and just like the other two, I had my 20, perhaps 25 minutes where I drove around the busy streets of one of the towns in central Israel, avoided the obstacles, navigated the narrow streets, slowed down for the speed bumps, stopped at red traffic lights, managed not to hit any pedestrians (apparently that's fairly frowned upon, as we were reminded at the start of the test) and talked to the examiner about life as a paramedic in London. It all seemed too easy and for the hour we had to wait between the test and calling back for the results, I fretted a little. 

Although, to be honest, I was more concerned for one of the others. 

No one seemed to tell her that equally as important as not hitting pedestrians, particularly on your ambulance driving test, is not driving on the wrong side of the road. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It worries me slightly that they deem in necessary to have an ambulance with dual controls!
Jay

MSgt B said...

I spent ten years stationed in countries where they drive on the "wrong" side of the road. (Eight in Japan, two in England)
Immediately upon my return to the states, I drove on the wrong side of the road and almost killed the whole family.

She has my sympathies...


Stay safe. I hope the cease-fire holds.