Sunday 22 March 2009

Booze Bus

I'm still undecided whether the Booze Bus is a good idea or not. On the one hand, should we really be pandering to the needs of a self-harming group of individuals, who have no-one else to blame but themselves? Do we really need to cater for those with self-inflicted "My drink's been spiked", "I usually handle more than this" and other such ailments? Is it really a problem that society as a whole should be paying for?

On the other hand, I guess the Booze Bus does save sending an A&E ambulance to every irresponsible drunk...

One thing's for sure. I do think that anyone who does (ab)use the Ambulance Service in this way, should get charged at least double the cab fare to the nearest A&E department...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I know that people who drink too much and pass out etc are a massive drain on the NHS and LAS as well as other ambulance services. However, I have been reading your blogs from your most recent to this one and I feel that you seem to group all self harmers in to one group. I get the impression you think it is a attention seeking mechanism. I work with self harmers now in the NHS and am training to work as a social worker, also, I self harm. Not currently but is an on and off thing. It is a maladaptive coping mechanism, I know that. It is not about the attention though. It is about release. Many people who self harm do so as a release and other things are going on in their lives. Also, as you are probably more than already aware of excess alcohol intake is a method of self harm. Fair enough, people shouldn't be doing it in public and then passing out. But, it is some peoples way of dealing what is going on with them.
I am enjoying reading your blog. I don't want to come across as though I am having ago etc and I know you must get sick of it seeing it so often. I know I do sometimes and I of all people should understand more than a lot of other people about it. But I just wanted to make my point.

Thanks for the break from uni work!
xxx