Monday 16 March 2009

Drunk again?

On top of having a very busy shift with proper poorly people (again... my reputation as a jinx continued, more of that at a later date), I also had a very religious experience at work last night. We were called to an alcoholic to start off the shift who kept stressing to me the importance of believing in God. It was God who had got him where he is today. Lying in the street after collapsing.

I was a little confused to say the least... Do you mean that it's God who's made your liver and kidneys start to fail? Or make you drink at least 10 cans of cider a day? Or that gave you all those self-harm marks on your arms, most of which have required stitches or worse? It would seem, however, that I even had a lesson to learn from Mr Drunk.

It was God who had let him choose his path, and he had chosen badly. Or so he said. Now he wants God's help to lead him back to the rehab clinic so he can start again. I did advise that his GP could probably help him out by being God's messenger in referring him to rehab. But this gentleman was having none of it. He was waiting for God to deliver His message to him personally...

I await to see whether this GFA* remains on our regular callers' list or whether he receives his calling...

*God Fearing Alcoholic

No comments: