Friday 13 March 2009

Little People

Probably the nightmare of every paramedic worldwide is a sick child. It's the time where we all struggle to cope with our emotions at the same time as coping with the situation itself.

Ambulances are forever being called for children with temperatures and the fits that they can sometimes cause (called febrile convulsions, see earlier post), as well as children with just run-of-the-mill coughs, colds, won't stop crying type things.

Recently, however, I've been called to some very poorly children. If there's any call I'm likely to "take home" with me, it's these. These are the emotional ones. Even if I don't always realise it at the time. Maybe I'm more sensitive as I have Little People of my own.

Yesterday's shift brought us an 8-year-old boy who has severe learning difficulties and epilepsy. He usually has 2 or 3 seizures a month, but this time, he'd had six in the space of 24 hours. When we arrived we were met at the door by Dad who told us that Amir was no longer fitting, which is always a relief to hear. Mum was by the bedside keeping an eye on the little man. Both parents were very calm, obviously used to their son's condition, and despite their anxieties were able to put my crew mate and me at ease with the situation. I was sure it should be the other way round, but having parents who know about, understand, can explain about and cope so admirably with their child's condition just made the call that much easier to deal with.

So thank you to those parents who understand that the ambulance crews are human too, that we appreciate your help sometimes as much as you appreciate ours.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry, I ended up commenting on your "weighty problem" blog when it was intended for this piece, Tech glitch at my end, apologies.

Mel

Anonymous said...

I'm a very new technician, in fact i'm so new i'm not even a tech yet (officially).

I was out 3rd manning the other night and we went to a 10 yo girl with flu like symptoms. She wasn't in anyway distressed but her mother was. Even though the young girl was calm I wasn't. Inside I was all over the place and tried my best to stop it from showing externally, a difficult skill to learn. I can't yet imagine how i'll be when a big sick child is presented to me?

I'm enjoying the blog mate, just started reading all the early posts. I like the 'from the heart' stance.

InsomniacMedic said...

Welcome GiD, glad you've become one of the followers! I've had a look at your blog too and wish you all the luck with it! Sick kids affect us all, some more than others - for me it's probably cos I've got little ones of my own. EMS is very often about presenting a front. You need to keep your emotions in check - at least until you've finished the job. Nerves are not only a bad thing though, they keep the mind focused. It's good to have a bit of adrenaline rushing through you, as long as you can still do your job. I'm sure that like everyone else it's just a question of time and experience. You'll learn how to show the family and the patient just how calm and in control you are. I still get a little nervy when dealing with very poorly kids -but I know that I can deal with the patient first and foremost, and then later deal with my emotions too... Good luck!!!