Tuesday 2 June 2009

Busman's Holiday

Finally, I'm on holiday.
Finally, no night shifts.
Finally, no knocks on the front door asking for help.
And still, I'm not safe.
There I am, walking around the city centre in our holiday destination, when I spot a very familiar looking gathering of general public all looking at the pavement. I get a little closer and see a lady on the ground, with blood around her. Thankfully conscious after falling in the street, but very tearful. She's uncomplicatedly young, about 30 years old, but complicatedly pregnant, about 38 weeks... She has a large hole in her chin which had caused the blood loss, and has abdo pain which could be anything from simple post-fall pain to the baby being in distress, which was obviously her main concern.
There were two police officers on scene and they had called an ambulance. Whilst I undertook an initial assessment of the lady, someone else pushed their way through the crowd. "I'm a paramedic, Holidaysville Ambulance Service".
"Nice to meet you", I replied, "I'm also a paramedic. Although my ambulance is 3,500 km from here". As I speak the local language, he really wasn't sure whether to believe me or not, but accepted my help anyway.
We sent the young lady to get her chin stuck back together and make sure that her baby was ok too.
Think I'm gonna need some kind of ASBO to keep me away from Running Calls...
And now, back to my holiday!

No comments: