Wednesday 12 May 2010

Rats

Below is a screen shot of a recent call. Now I have to say, I can understand the kid for calling. Not sure I'd know what to do if I found one of these lying dead in my lounge. I mean, it's not as if it'd be covered in a normal first-aid course, is it?
What I don't understand, is why the system triaged it as a cardiac arrest call, and despite human protestations, the computer still insisted and sent me on blue lights and sirens.

Not for long though. Human intelligence eventually took over and cancelled the call with some bemused apologies.

I did have to wonder what the ratio of compressions to ventilations on a rat was. I think I may have verbalised that thought slightly too loudly, much to the amusement of several people standing around at the time.

Rats.

4 comments:

Squeezey said...

While studying abdo pain in my paramedic course I learnt that rats can't vomit, only regurgitate, so perhaps if they can get all the food back out their mouth you won't have to worry about them aspirating.

EMT GFP said...

My mice love gagging... then again, I am giving them a gastric tube. I would gag too.

And so long as its quick it usually works ;)

I actually resuscitated a mouse that had been given too much anesthesia in lab. You blow into their faces/nose (obviously not touching the mouse with your mouth) quickly several times, rub it to stimulate it, and do a quick set of one fingered compressions while the mouse is on its side. Rotating between the three brought the mouse back! I think he was only in respiratory arrest so that helped :)

Peter said...

Heard about a man bit by turtle job. Cue much bad shell suit puns from crew responding.

Internal Optimist said...

Wonderful!