Tuesday 3 August 2010

Noise

Opening the door of the ambulance, there's a noise.

An almost feral scream.

Entering the house, there's a noise.

An accusatory shout, querying the delay.

As the kit is prepared, there's a noise.

A low groan, panting, pushing.

As it's being born, there's a noise.

A parent's question, checking the baby's welfare.

Once the baby makes a full appearance, there's no noise.

No noise at all.

As it arrives, it's blue, lifeless. Silent.

We warm it, dry it, breathe for it.

After a few forced breaths, there's a noise.

The noise of a newborn's cry.

As the lungs open up and greet the world, there's a noise.

A loud, high-pitched, life-saving noise.

The most beautiful noise in the world.

7 comments:

Deborah said...

Phew!!!

(had me worried there.....)

Saint Para said...

I like noisy children/infants/babies. It means they are breathing. This makes me happy. And less clenched. After that day with 3 jobs as children Red 1's - well I've had enough for a while!

RD said...

Great Post!

Michael Morse said...

Wow. I'm glad this is one of my regular stops. Kind of made my day. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

phew indeed!

E

Day said...

Don't do that to me...I nearly had another Toy Story 3 moment!!!!!!

Ambulance Amateur said...

This is where I REALLY envy you guys!