Wednesday 18 August 2010

Sleep

"Have you ever seen something at work that you wish you'd never seen, or that you'll never see again?"

"Sure there is."

"Was it a bad crash or something?"

"No, it wasn't. There are much worse things to see than that."

"Such as?"

"Well, if I never ever again see another neglected, abused child, it'll be too soon."

"So you've actually seen it? Bad child abuse I mean?"

"Yes. I've seen it."

"How did you cope?"

"I called the police, looked after the child, took them to hospital, and made sure they were cared for."

"And then what?"

"Then, I saw another dozen patients in the shift, and carried on as normal."

"And that's it?!"

"Nope. Come the morning I went home, hugged my kids, had some breakfast, and cried myself to sleep."

1 comment:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Yep, know that scenario well. Hands are "tied" beyond reporting what we see and dropping some good thoughts for the kids involved. We do our best and leave the rest to the professionals.